December 29, 2009
SOMETIME RECENTLY Google Maps updated the northeast area of Los Angeles with a curious respelling. What used to be marked as Valleybrink Rd., a curvy residential street in central Atwater Village, is now split: Valley Brink Rd. In fact, when Googlers use the one-word spelling to look up a specific address along this century-old street, they're asked: Did you mean Valley Brink? No, we didn't, Google. And neither should you.
December 23, 2009
December 17, 2009
December 12, 2009
December 11, 2009
Come for the treats and drinks and prizes, stay for the visual and performing arts. Free admission and free parking.Atwater Playhouse Grand Opening and
Atwater Village Art Center 4th Birthday
- Casitas Artists Complex
- 3191 Casitas Ave., Atwater Village
- Saturday, Dec. 12, noon to 5:00pm
- Sunday, Dec. 13, noon to 5:00pm
December 10, 2009
JUST THIS SUMMER the Yoga Lab opened at 3362 Glendale Blvd., full of promise and iced hempaccinos. But a reader now writes:
Word is one or more of the former Yoga Lab instructors can be found at nearby Heartbeat House."Drove by Yoga Lab today and they have shut shop, and posted a large To Let sign on the windows. Sad to see another small business shut its doors. I never really thought that would last though. The few times I'd been in they only had 2-3 people in each class!"
December 9, 2009
Garcetti may not consider himself "hip" but just over the last 3 years it's hard to ignore the extra bit of style baked into the appearance of the future LA mayoral candidate. Yes, in answering, "What's next?" Garcetti admits that one possible path "would be to look at mayor in 2013." Hipsters represent.NEON TOMMY: Who do you think represents more hipsters, you or Eric Garcetti?
TOM LABONGE: (thinks for a second) I think it's probably Eric because Eric is more of a hipster than I am. Though I could talk you up if you wanted me to.
NEON TOMMY: You know I talked to Tom LeBonge...
ERIC GARCETTI: Yeah I heard, I can answer the hipster question right out. I mean, not even close. CD 13 is hipster central. Silver Lake, Echo Park, Atwater Village...
NEON TOMMY: Are you a hipster?
ERIC GARCETTI: No but I represent them proudly.
December 8, 2009
NOTED ON THE night of the Atwater Village tree lighting: The former home of Thousand Fabrics, 3229 Glendale Blvd., is hosting a 4-artist exhibit, "Forms of Abstraction 4." The show is open Thursdays through Sundays, noon to 5:00pm, now through January 2010.
December 7, 2009
UPDATE: CBS2 reports that the victim "rebuffed initial attempts at rescue because he allegedly said he didn't 'want to leave his bicycle behind.'".
UPDATE: More details and video of the rescue on CBS2.
December 5, 2009
December 3, 2009
- 18th Annual Atwater Village Tree Lighting
- Friday: December 4, 2009
- 4:00pm to 8:00pm: music, treats, crafts, shops, food, snow, all along Glendale Blvd.
- 6:00pm: tree lighting, Santa appearance, Wells Fargo parking lot, 3250 Glendale Blvd. [Google map]
See the agenda for the whole event, including a list of food vendors, on the AVNC forum.
December 1, 2009
"My husband and I are currently building out a small meat and fish market in Los Feliz called McCall's Meat and Fish Company. We are part way through construction on a space on Hillhurst Ave. right next to Mexico City Restaurant [Google map]."We are planning on selling amazing quality meats and seafood as well as some retail items like our favorite oils, vinegars and salts, etc... We will also offer dry aged steaks, house made sausages, and pre-seasoned and tied roasts on a limited basis."We are really excited to be in the neighborhood and have a projected opening date set for mid January."
November 23, 2009
- Train Hits, Kills Woman [Glendale News-Press]
TODAY ONLY: In a one-up of its sweet July deal, get a "Groupon" for $50 worth of wine, beer, cheese or whatever you desire from 55 Degree Wine, 3111 Glendale Blvd., at the low, low price of only $25. The offer is good till midnight tonight only on the Groupon website.
November 22, 2009
November 17, 2009
Does anyone know if this new Revo Cafe is the art-themed coffee, juice and organic food cafe we heard about this summer? Does it have anything to do with the Revo Coffee and Cigarette Cafe in Glendale? New location? Entirely different business?
UPDATE: It's possible Atwater Village's new Revo Cafe has some connection with a similarly-named establishment (Revo Cafe, a.k.a. De-Revolution) formerly of the Adams Hill neighborhood in Glendale. If so, read why Glendale neighbors weren't thrilled.
November 16, 2009
- First Course: "Eat Your Veggies"
- Second Course: "Sloppy Andre" and Tater Tots
- Third Course: Coffee Ice Cream Sandwich
November 14, 2009
18th Annual Atwater Village Tree LightingThe event is put together by the Atwater Village Neighborhood Council, the Atwater Village Chamber of Commerce and LA City Council President Eric Garcetti (CD13).
- Wells Fargo parking lot
- 3250 Glendale Blvd.
- Friday, Dec. 4, 2009
- 6:00pm ceremony begins
- 6:45pm Santa Claus arrival (via fire truck) and tree lighting
November 12, 2009
November 10, 2009
- Atwater Playhouse Theater Company
- One-hour ensemble of scenes
- $5 suggested donation (free parking)
- Saturday, Nov. 14, 8:00pm
- 3191 Casitas Ave., LA, CA
November 7, 2009
- Saturday, Nov. 7
- 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- Grain (back studio)
- 3135 Glendale Blvd.
November 5, 2009
November 3, 2009
October 31, 2009
- Will has some freaky fiction about a time in 1769, on the east bank of the river near what would become Atwater Village, when travelers were told to avoid those spooky Griffith Park hills.
- LAist decries the effigy hanging above a house in Atwater Village.
- The LA Times gives the finger (albiet a tasty one) to our new Village Bakey Cafe...
- And new neighbors want to know how many trick-or-treaters to expect tonight. Answer: lots.
October 29, 2009
October 28, 2009
October 26, 2009
October 22, 2009
October 21, 2009
View Perlita Avenue Fire in a larger map
THE HOUSE FIRE was labeled "stubborn" and "heavy" at first, but 50 firefighters took just 24 minutes this afternoon to extinguish it at 3507 W. Perlita Avenue in Atwater Village. From LAFD's Twitter feed:
- Update #1: Structure fire through roof of 2-story home
- Update #2: 50 Firefighters battling stubborn fire with heavy attic involvement
- Update #3: Knockdown; 50 firefighters took just 24 minutes; No injury; Confined to 2nd floor and attic
October 18, 2009
October 17, 2009
Neighbors, you are on alert. Check windows and doors. Watch for interlopers. Report emergencies to 911, other police matters to 1-877-ASK-LAPD."The house across the street from us on Valleybrink Road was burglarized last week! It was a weekday; not sure which one. During the day while the husband and wife were at work. The burglar(s) broke in thru a side window. They stole a huge flat screen TV, the wife’s jewelry, etc. The couple have a lab dog that stays in the backyard. Please alert your neighbors!"
October 15, 2009
THIS PHOTO by Dan Gabai was taken more than a year ago, Sept. 13, 2008, back when street lamps on the Glendale-Hyperion bridge viaduct system came on at night. These days, the lamps stay dark. The corners and shadows along and beneath the bridge and its staircases and sidewalks are even darker. What gives? Can't be all about money savings for the city, especially on a bridge where City Council spent $2,000 to install American flags. (Which, by the way, some might say, ought not be waving in the dark.)
UPDATE: Week later. Lights on.
October 13, 2009
- 6:13pm from AtwaterVillage: "Something afoot (and in air) on Revere Ave south of Los Feliz Blvd [Google Maps] ... cops blocking street & circling above"
- 6:31pm from Fixer: "I live on Revere south of Los Feliz Blvd, I hope my dog doesn't eat anyone while I am not there."
- 6:33pm from DougMcInnes: "Policed cordoned off a block of Brunswick, we talked to an officer and apparently there's a suspect running around possibly with a gun."
- 6:50pm from Wambat: "My wife went out to the store and the cops cordoned off Los Feliz and Brunswick. She can't get back home."
- 7:03pm from AtwaterVillage: "Cop copters still circling"
- 7:16pm from Fixer: "LAPD NE has confirmed, the perimeter is set up and they are searching for 2 armed and dangerous suspects"
October 12, 2009
View Green Hornet Filming Locations in a larger map
FILMING CONTINUES Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights this week for Michel Gondry's Green Hornet feature film, starring Seth Rogen.
Friends of Atwater Village posts the specific locations -- here's a map -- mostly along Riverside Drive but also on Fletcher Drive (basically where Pulp Fiction was shot in Atwater Village) Oct. 12-14, 6:00pm to 6:00am.
The kids at the Riverglen Apartments should get great views of the action, though possibly little sleep, the next few nights. Expect, for example, "automatic gunfire, explosions ... and use of ramps to simulate rollover."
October 11, 2009
- "Noticed it in the shower. Any idea why? Smells like the YMCA."
- "I think the LA tap water has a weird taste and odor, chlorine?"
- "Not sure what that smell is. My Atwater Village tapwater has a bouquet I don't recognize."
YOU NOTICE IT when you're driving south along Glendale Blvd., just before crossing under the Hyperion Bridge toward Silver Lake. It's a homely little camp, blankets, shopping cart, all the amenities of street life spread out at the base of the pedestrian staircase. At least one or 2 homeless men have occupied this shady slice of Atwater Village, adjacent to a north I-5 on-ramp, for the last couple of weeks.
Two years ago this spot had become a trash heap. The city eventually came along and bagged it. Back then, no one lived there. So now, what will the city do? And how long will they wait to do it?
October 9, 2009
October 8, 2009
AN EAGLE-EYED reader questions changes at the petrol station formerly known as Gabriel's Gas Mart, 3047 Glendale Blvd. "Hey would you happen to know what is happening at the Gas Mart gas station on Glendale Blvd.? It's near the Crispy Crust and Starbucks." On Tuesday the reader saw the new Valero signs go up. "Was it sold or something?" he asks. "It's a shame to lose a family-ran gas station."
October 6, 2009
- Braised artichoke on a fat toast with shaved pecorino
- Seared halibut with cherry tomatoes, cracked olives, capers and basil
- Apple and raisin crostata with ice cream
October 2, 2009
October 1, 2009
Real Estalker's POV aside, the Fish house adds another note (with Beastie Boys, Eels, Black Eyed Peas) to the musical history of Atwater Village."The 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom house is located in a modest section of Los Angeles called Atwater Village, a neighborhood with a Silver Lake zip code that borders Glendale, Elysian Valley, Glassell Park, Los Feliz, and the sprawling Griffith Park. Being the hub in a geographic wheel certainly makes Atwater Village accessible to and from many parts of the Tinseltown but, as far as Your Mama and the Dr. Cooter are concerned, it's far to [sic] hot and smoggy for our delicate constitutions..."
September 30, 2009
September 28, 2009
NEXT TIME you venture into the Tam O'Shanter Inn, 2980 Los Feliz Blvd., ask for table 31. It's the 4-person booth in the corner by the fireplace. And it was where Walt Disney and his animators ate lunch in the 1920s and 1930s.
Back then, creating 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Disney's studio was 2 miles away in Silver Lake, where Gelson's Market stands today on Hyperion Avenue.
Disney and his animators ate so often at the Tam O'Shanter (est. 1922), it became known as the studio commissary. And NBC LA includes it in its list of best Snow White spots in Los Angeles:
"Snow White" isn't the only Disney connection with the Scottish-themed restaurant and pub, according to Jim Hill Media:"And the inside? Looks just like a little nook-filled cottage, still. Is it a coincidence that Snow White was in the works around the time the artists would dine here?
And if Walt's table 31 doesn't do it for you, see if table 15 is available. That was John Wayne's."Someone once told me that the houses around the Tam were built by Walt Disney for his employees to live in. I've also been told that the architecture of the Tam helped influence building design on the Pinocchio ride at Disneyland."
September 26, 2009
On Sept. 23, I got an email saying the graffiti was removed.
On Sept. 26, I walked up the LA River to check it out. Indeed, the old graffiti was painted over, bright white on beige concrete. But now outlined in black was a giant TRS. That's The Rascals (or Thee Rascals) for those of you following your gang turf wars at home.
September 23, 2009
September 22, 2009
In one burglary, suspects were seen knocking on a front door. When no one answered, suspects cut a rear window screen and entered through the window. In another, a resident was distracted while suspects entered the front door. Items stolen: checkbooks, mail, computers.
At this time LAPD detectives do not believe the incidents are related, or that all the suspects are working together, but they do have a few descriptions:
- Male Hispanic, 18-19 years old, 5'5" to 5'8" and 130-140 pounds
- Female Hispanic, 16-18 years old, 5'1" to 5'2" and 105-110 pounds
- Female Hispanic, 25 to 30 years old, 5'4" to 5'5" and 160 pounds
- Male Hispanic, 18-25 years old, 5'8" and 155 pounds
September 18, 2009
ATWATER VILLAGE'S Viet Noodle Bar, 3133 Glendale Blvd., has made the list of top 10 new Asian noodle bars in the US, published in the October 2009 issue of Bon Appetit. From the magazine: "At this Atwater Village noodle bar, pho comes topped with ingredients like organic chicken and cilantro." See all 10.
September 16, 2009
I'm reporting huge, multiple scrawls on columns and walls on the northwest wall of the Glendale Blvd. bridge (Google map), the wall facing the LA River. They're likely only visible from river trails in Atwater Village, but still. It's a historic damn bridge! Show some pride! And let's see how long it takes the City to clean it up. Next, maybe Sunnynook Footbridge?
UPDATE: Already got this: "Your report has been assigned the following Service Request Number: 310893. You will be notified via e-mail when the contractor reports they have completed this request."
September 14, 2009
- First: Watermelon and beet salad with feta and preserved meyer lemon
- Second: Seared duck breast with parsnip puree, cabbage and plums
- Third: Roasted figs with creme fraiche and condensed arabic coffee
September 11, 2009
The Village Bakery will still bake and serve the same breads as LA Bread, but pastries and cafe items are now made daily from scratch. Signs and paint went up this week. The Village Bakery is open Tuesdays through Saturdays, 8:00am to 4:00pm, and Sundays, 8:00am to 3:00pm.
September 9, 2009
- Thursday Sept. 10, 7:00pm
- LA River Center and Gardens
- 570 Avenue 26, Los Angeles, CA
SHORT, PERSONAL note to Los Angeles Department of Water and Power CEO David Nahai:
During a week when LADWP's busted water mains swallow a fire engine and drown a major traffic artery, you might not want to go with the casual mafia lieutenant look on the evening news.
Despite LADWP's alleged history of thuggery, nothing instills less confidence in a nervous public, worrying their street might be the next sinkhole, than a dude lounging on a leather sofa.
Sit up straight. Button the shirt. Maybe throw on a jacket. Or sit at a desk. Drop a couple grand on media training if you have to. At the very least, try and look like the guy who might be able to handle the problem.
September 8, 2009
- atmospheric smoke effects
- "weapons" brandished
- emergency vehicles with flashing lights
- actors with exterior dialogue
- Sweet Apple and Bacon Puffs with Pomegranate Glaze
- Tarragon Chicken and Grape Pot Pie
- Almond and Coconut Cream Fruit Cake
September 4, 2009
View What's Going on with Foothill Boulevard? in a larger map
WHEN THE NEWS came today about a vehicle driving into a structure on Foothill Blvd., I had an acute sense of deja vu. Foothill? Again? A search on the last year of Los Angeles Fire Department alerts revealed no fewer than 10 incidents along an 8-mile stretch of Foothill Boulevard:
- Sept. 4, 2009: 13700 W Foothill Blvd; Solo vehicle into (business?) with structural compromise.
- Aug. 21, 2009: 14040 W Foothill Blvd; 2 1/2 year old male fell from 2 stories.
- Aug. 18, 2009: 8935 W Foothill Blvd; Brush Fire, 2-3 Acres on Ridgeline.
- June 11, 2009: 11451 W Foothill Blvd; Reported fire in 1 acre of grass/brush in the Hansen Dam area, south of the soccer field.
- March 13, 2009: 15950 W Foothill Blvd; Male hiker fell approx. 50 ft down hillside, sustained multiple inj's, listed in critical cond. Hoisted out of canyon for tsp to hosp.
- March 7, 2009: 12950 W. Foothill Blvd; Structure fire, McDonalds restaurant, heavy smoke on arrival
- Jan. 16, 2009: 10411 W. Foothill Blvd; Physical Rescue, Traffic collision involving auto vs pwr pole. 1 person trapped.
- Nov. 18, 2008: 13947 W. Foothill Blvd; Air Ambulance, 2 y/o injured in traffic collision.
- Sept. 27, 2008: 11798 W. Foothill Blvd; Air Ambulance, Young female run over by horse.
- Sept. 19, 2008: 13142 W. Foothill Blvd; Reported traffic collision on the back side of dam in vicinity of hang gliders. Vehicle on side of hill.
But that doesn't explain all of it, least of all traffic collisions and restaurant fires. So what gives? Something in the air? Bunch of crazies living up there?
September 2, 2009
|WE ALREADY know the body of Michael Jackson will be buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, just across the tracks from Atwater Village. It (he) goes down tomorrow, September 3, during a private evening service.|
But where will the King of Pop finally rest? Where would you? One detailed report has MJ resting near Walt Disney's garden grave beside the Freedom Mausoleum. Another story says Jackson will be slid into a crypt inside the Great Mausoleum.
Forest Lawn staffers are notoriously mum toward tourists and fans, but this one is sure to eventually pop up on one of the many celebrity grave location websites.
September 1, 2009
UPDATE: From the AVNC forum, word is this spot will be an as-yet-unnamed art-themed coffee, juice and organic food cafe of some kind, probably not unlike the new-ish Yoga Lab about 3 blocks up.
August 31, 2009
- 14 pictures from last week's Atwater Village Summer Nights street festival ... dancers, babies, balloon hats
- Bottega Louie today; could go every week! Working through Jonathan Gold's 99 essential LA restaurants & here's the map
- Philip Lumbang “Hug Life” Warehouse Pop-Up Show, September 12, 8:00pm ... 3333 N. San Fernando Rd.
View Street Closures for Michael Jackson Burial Service in a larger map
THIS THURSDAY watch for swarms of media vehicles around Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, just across the tracks from Atwater Village. The private burial service for Michael Jackson is September 3, 2009, 7:00pm.
- Media parking: 1600 and 1700 block of S. Glendale Avenue
- Crew parking: 1400 to 1600 blocks of S. Glendale Avenue
- Media camp: Cerritos Park (restrooms, tables, rest area)
- Streets closed: Laurel, Eulalia and Cerritos (except for school dropoff) between Brand and Glendale
August 30, 2009
THE WINDS YESTERDAY, when this gas station photo was shot, seemed to carry smoke from the mountainous Station Fire safely up and away from Atwater Village and northeast LA neighborhoods.
But Sunday morning, no such luck. LA Times confirms winds shifted down-canyon overnight, pushing the 35,000-acre, 4-day-old blaze toward residential areas. And just after sunrise in Atwater Village, about 10 miles southwest of the fire (Google map), the sky turned dull orange and smoky smells began to pour through open windows.
South Coast Air Quality Management District has sage advice (stay inside, close windows, recirculate cleaner indoor air) for anyone in "areas where residents can see or smell smoke." That's us, Villagers.
August 28, 2009
August 27, 2009
IT'S BACK: For the second time this summer, Atwater Village shops and restaurants are spilling out onto the sidewalks of Glendale Blvd. for another Summer Nights event. Expect sidewalk sales, live music, art and fashion in this LA version of a retail block party. It starts tonight, Aug. 27, 6:00pm, up and down both sides of Glendale Blvd., north from Glenfeliz Blvd.
August 25, 2009
- Weiser Farms melon salad
- choice of Sonoma grass-fed beef cheeseburger or Sonoma grass-fed beef burger topped with fried egg and frisee
- fig-milk-chocolate-bourbon ice cream dessert
August 21, 2009
THE NEXT Atwater Village neighborhood cleanup project is at Red Car River Park (Ferncroft Rd. and Glendale Blvd.) on Saturday Aug. 22, 9:30am to noon. Friends of Atwater Village and USC Student Volunteers are pitching in and seeking volunteers to spruce up this access point to the Los Angeles River.
August 20, 2009
FROM A 10-question marketing survey by The Americana at Brand in Glendale, question number 5 asks what radio stations I listen to. I think by KCRW 83.9FM they really meant KPCC 89.3FM. I picked "other" and put in the correct ID for the public radio station in Pasadena. I hope the Glendale mall ends up sponsoring the right station.
August 19, 2009
TECHNICALLY THEY'LL be working in the neighboring neighborhood of Glassell Park, but chances are cast and crew of All My Children could find themselves enjoying the nearby amenities of Atwater Village, conveniently located on the way to work from whatever westside and/or Los Feliz housing accommodations they may have.
The soap opera moves production out of New York City and into northeast Los Angeles at Andrita Studios, 3030 Andrita St., starting January 2010. Here are a few tips to help Susan Lucci and friends adjust to the NELA lifestyle:
- Early-morning carb load? Potato breakfast burritos at Tacos Villa Corona, 1.4 miles from the studio.
- Your go-to lunch dish: arroz con pollo at Baracoa Cuban Cafe, just 1.5 miles away.
- Sweat it off a block up at Bikram Yoga Silver Lake.
- Car need work? Have your PA drop it with Luis Lopez Automotive, just half a mile down Fletcher Drive.
- Dinner? Canele. Duh. 1.3 miles. Take the community table up front and wait for TMZ.
- After-work "script meetings," basement at 55 Degree Wine, 1.8 miles, free parking.
- After-work unwinding, dive-bar style, Club Tee Gee.
- After-work unwinding, vampire style, The Griffin.
- Late-night munchies, tacos at Fletcher and Larga.
More about AMC's move from Franklin Avenue.
August 16, 2009
August 14, 2009
August 12, 2009
UPDATE: The LA Times blogs seem to be coming and going. After I wrote this, they were back up. Today, they're back down.
August 11, 2009
August 10, 2009
Not exactly. The Yoga Lab, 3362 Glendale Blvd., is a yoga studio, health shop and juice bar rolled into one black-and-white brick box. Blog reader and band member of Silver Phial reports: "I stopped in to the Yoga Lab last week and really enjoyed their selection of drinks and their extensive knowledge of nutrition. Really friendly folks and they have a beautiful sit-down counter."
As for that iced hempaccino? It's purified water, organic coffee infused with herbal extracts, vanilla hemp milk and agave. No prescription required.
August 6, 2009
August 4, 2009
August 3, 2009
WHILE WE SADLY bid adieu to a fave gift shop in the neighborhood, we can still treat our pains at another local hot spot. Dtox Day Spa, 3206 Los Feliz Blvd., is celebrating its third anniversary. Save a receipt from a treatment in August, get $20 coupon for September. And the spa's Happy Hour Friday is Aug. 21, this time a detox/retox partnership with Bigfoot Lodge across the street. Soak it in, just like Lorelai Gilmore!
July 28, 2009
UPDATE: D'oh! They were here last Thursday. How could I have missed them?
July 25, 2009
July 24, 2009
View River Glen or North Atwater Village? in a larger map
THE NORTHERN TIP of Atwater Village has the neighborhood's last remaining strip club, and now the whole area might be stripped from the neighborhood.
Not that anyone really lives in this concrete industrial stem at the top of Atwater Village's banana, but Los Angeles City Councilman Tom Labonge has taken to renaming it River Glen.
The new moniker appears on the LA River Revitalization Plan and other City documents, according to the Friends of Atwater Village blog. Labonge has also been using it in emails to describe development initiatives in the area.
Never mind the name. (Not much Glen-like about it.) But splitting it from residential areas of Atwater Village seems rather arbitrary.
Are we saying industrial and residential don't mix? Or could this be a clever ploy by Labonge's office to locate a waste treatment facility in North Atwater Village without approval from our usual stakeholders, like neighborhood council?
The "River Glen" area is also adjacent to the Chevy Chase Park area, where LAPD recently raided Toonerville gang compounds and promises continued cleanup of the area. I suppose neighborhood stakeholders could want continued say in how both areas are governed.
I only spent time in "River Glen" once, at a furniture sale. (Didn't buy anything.) But I wouldn't be surprised if people through it was part of the City of Glendale anyway.
July 23, 2009
July 22, 2009
|TOMORROW MARKS the return of the street fest to Atwater Village. In 2008, our neighborhood enjoyed an April "Artwater" art festival, a June sidewalk festival, an October trick-or-treat event and a December holiday tree lighting festival. But this year, with anticipated budget cuts to neighborhood organizations, it looked like we'd get through all of 2009 without taking to the streets. No worries, now. Enter the Atwater Village Chamber of Commerce:|
Summer Nights on The Boulevard
July 19, 2009
|NOT TO MISS: Top Chef season 2 winner Ilan Hall takes over the kitchen Tuesday July 21, 5:30pm to 10:00pm, at Canele, 3219 Glendale Blvd., in Atwater Village. Hall's 3-course prix fixe (price TBD) Scottish-influenced menu is predicted to include:|
July 18, 2009
JULY 9 gang raid in North Atwater Village is being hailed, not least of all by the raiders themselves, as an unqualified success. The numbers, from Northeast LAPD:
- 21 locations searched
- 19 suspects arrested (murder, attempted murder, narcotics trafficking, weapons violations)
- 2 additional arrests on scene (weapons violations)
- 63 firearms confiscated (48 in one house alone)
- 3 ounces of meth/cocaine confiscated
- 32 ounces of marijuana confiscated
Key to the long-term success of the raid will be preventing rival Rascals gang from filling gaps where Toonerville once reigned.
Involved agencies were Los Angeles Police Department, LA County Sheriff’s Department, City Councilman Eric Garcetti, Glendale Police Department and Drug Enforcement Agency.
July 16, 2009
IN THIS NEW spoof indie movie trailer from FunnyorDie, Alanis Morissette and Alicia Silverstone spend some time (the first 30 seconds or so) strolling through Atwater Village. Get brief glances of Glendale Blvd. landmarks like Kaldi Coffee's red umbrellas and the vacant storefront where Coldstone Creamery used to be. Watch My Mother's Red Hat.