May 21, 2008

Taco Crawl's Final Stop: Fletcher Drive


Stuffed but Still Game, originally uploaded by faustfatale.


PREPARE TO GET hungry, no matter what time of day, when you read Eric Stone's account of his taco-truck adventure earlier this month. His seventh, and unplanned, stop: the off-the-hook taco stand on Fletcher Drive in what he calls Silver Lake, but is known in these parts as Atwater Village.

"...Along the way we had to pass my favorite taco cart in Christa and my neighborhood (Silverlake) - the al pastor wheel at Fletcher and Larga, across from the U-Haul. It wasn't in us to simply drive by. So we finished off the night there, with excellent al pastor and what might be my favorite salsa roja in town - a bit thinner than most, but with a good, solid bite and a nice tickle of vinegar."

6 comments:

Scott said...

Incidentally, that's the same intersection where Marsellus Wallace chases Butch in Pulp Fiction, just before they stumble into the pawn shop from hell.

AVN said...

Read all about that famous Pulp Fiction scene up the street at Fletcher and Atwater.

Lulu said...

No way! I never would have guessed Atwater was in Pulp Fiction. I did know about it being in the most horrific episode of Six Feet Under when David is abducted by the crackhead kid.

I digress. This taco truck was pretty good, though it doesn't beat the Taco Zone in Eagle Rock. Just sayin'. Also, it was right down Larga where that poor kid was killed by one of the many gangs in AV.

CitizenRobots said...

I've been pulling my car over a LOT for al pastor hookups lately. They are plentiful in Glassell Park as well! There is always a dude set up near the new Verdugo Bar...

(Pulp Fiction reference FTW! Cap it off by going to Pat & Lorraine's in Eagle Rock for a little Resevoir Dogs action?)

Jim said...

Haha, I remember watching the scene being filmed. I was going to Ray's Liquor to buy some soda and saw a crew and such. They changed Foster's to Teriyaki Donut or something weird like that. I saw Q, Bruce Willis, and Ving Rhames. There's another scene from Pulp Fiction that was in Silver Lake. The hotel I believe was on Riverside Drive between Valero and the Hyperion Bridge (same bridge in Who Framed Roger Rabbit). The hotel burned down or was razed a while back.

As for the taco stand, I always grab the al pastor. Best tacos in town. I only like the potato ones at TVC, but I was never really a big fan up there. Used to hit that place up when I would go to the comic store.

What else do they have there anyway? Thats all I've been getting, I never bothered with any other type of taco.

Miles said...

That taco stand is good, There's also a great pupusa stand across the street towards Silver Lake. And, I just got tacos at El Buen Gusto on Fletcher last night and they were superb. Really, superb. $1.60 each. Did I mention superb?