December 27, 2010
NANCY RIGG, who lived on Valleybrink Road in Atwater Village in 1980, meets James Ventrillo 30 years later on the Sunnynook footbridge over the Los Angeles River in this photo from SCPR. Nancy's fiancé, Earl Higgins, died rescuing James from the river on this spot 30 years ago. Listen to the amazing story on today's Madeleine Brand Show.
November 11, 2010
- 3156 Glendale Blvd, former home of Toni's Rolling Pin Bakery, coming next week: Proof Bakery; http://bit.ly/d9TL2q
- Big Mista's BBQ, of Atwater Village's farmers market, on 2010 edition of Jonathan Gold's 99 essential restaurants: http://bit.ly/cTBQh9
- Theater for short attention spans: http://bit.ly/9uLUJY
November 10, 2010
- Friday Nov. 12, 8:00pm
- Saturday Nov. 13, 8:00pm
- Friday, Nov. 19, 8:00pm
- Saturday, Nov. 20, 8:00pm
One-act plays include:
- Puppies with Papers by Catherine Pelonero
- What Play? by Franco D'Alessandro
- Family Names by Catherine Pelonero
- Night Train by Gena Acosta
Tickets are $15 each and reservations are required, (323) 769-5808.
October 14, 2010
UPDATE: Chatter on the AVNC forum seems to indicate the late-night tacos have moved, possibly pursuant to neighborly nudging, to Ripple Street.
- 4th annual Atwater Village Woof Dog Howl-o-Ween parade & contest, Sunday Oct 17, 3pm, 3172 Glendale Blvd: http://bit.ly/a95ZYt
- State Supreme Court Won’t Consider Case of Atwater Village Gang Leader, Timothy Joseph McGhee: http://egpnews.com/?p=21156
- Well done or half-baked? LA Times covers controversy around Van de Kamp bakery development: http://lat.ms/cywO2R
- Real-estate porn from the Beverly Hills of Atwater Village: http://www.3795valleybrink.com/
October 7, 2010
- Best Historic Restaurant: Tam O'Shanter Inn
- Best After-Dinner Goodwill: Canele
- Best Room to Move: Heartbeat House
The weekly also gives love to neighboring Griffith Park:
October 1, 2010
|Location||Crime||Date and time|
|2900 block of Los Feliz Boulevard||Theft||Sept 21, 2:15pm|
|4600 block of Brazil Street||Theft from vehicle||Sept 21, 11:30 am|
|2900 block of Los Feliz Boulevard||Theft||Sept 20, 8:20 pm|
|2900 block of Los Feliz Boulevard||Grand theft auto||Sept 20, 5:00pm|
|3900 block of Glenfeliz Boulevard||Theft from vehicle||Sept 19, 8:10pm|
|Glendale and Revere||Robbery||Sept 19, 7:10pm|
|3500 block of Garden Avenue||Theft from vehicle||Sept 18, 7:30pm|
|2900 block of Los Feliz Boulevard||Theft||Sept 18, 4:00pm|
|2900 block of Los Feliz Boulevard||Theft||Sept 18, 1:05pm|
Check out the LA Times crime map for Atwater Village.
September 30, 2010
LUIS LOPEZ has posted 45 new photos from this Sept. 9, 2010, accident. A Saturn sedan hit a curb and sped into the driveway of his automotive shop at 2751 Fletcher Drive, crashing into the building. Luckily no one was working in that section and no one was injured.
September 23, 2010
"We moved to Hollywood, 5825 Sunset Blvd., Suite 1102. A head shop moved into the carpet store next door, the landlord services had changed and times were getting tough so we had to get tougher. But we miss Atwater, Canele, Black Maria, Catherine Dent and son, and the potted garden we created out back. In exchange we have an amazing view of the city and many of the same wonderful customers who followed us to Atwater and now are following us to Hollywood."Pounder Kone's former space in Atwater Village is now occupied by Dance Garden LA.
September 21, 2010
- leeleepitts: Hey everybody! We have so much fun planned for the Summer Nights event in @AtwaterVillage on Sep 23. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/bEQ8vV
- themewsnews: Atwater Village Celebrates Summer Nights on The Boulevard! http://conta.cc/bli8yf
- atwatervillage: Northeast LA's No Home Depot Coalition busily re-organizing itself into No Wal-Mart Coalition: http://bit.ly/b1Eb62
- atwatervillage: Portrait of Lilly La Bonge of Atwater Village's Sweets for the Soul: http://bit.ly/cODL0L
- atwatervillage: "If there was a heaven for bungalows it would have to be Atwater Village" http://bit.ly/dwQZbx
September 20, 2010
NOT QUITE. Here's how the photographer explains this photograph of I-5 in Atwater Village: "This is a fun little trick. With my neutral density filter I can take long exposure shots that make moving objects vanish. I will probably never seen the I-5 freeway empty like this. Actually, there are a few ghostlike trails if you look closely."
September 7, 2010
"I just wanted to send out a community announcement regarding increase police presence as well as police perimeters in the Atwater Village communities. Northeast gang units have been conducting enforcement due to increase of gang activity in the area.
"The good news is that after several gang operations, multiple local gang members were taken into custody pending Firearm violations. I can not disclose details at this time due to the ongoing investigations.
"I do want to remind folks that it is important that you keep your doors and windows locked at all times. As these gang members flee on foot they may attempt to enter through open windows and doors that are unlocked.
"I also want to caution folks that if you see police activity in your area involving the police helicopter hoovering over property, stay inside your homes."
Many neighbors have noticed increased police presence lately, especially helicopters in the wee hours of the night. How is it on your block?
- Emergency call 911
- City-wide directory 311
- Non-emergency 1-877-ASK-LAPD
August 31, 2010
- Atwater Village Neighborhood Council considering whether "anonymous" online forum users need to be vetted in person: http://bit.ly/ct3wl5 (They'd never approve this blog, eh?)
- "Pick up a fresh baguette, flaky croissant and shot of espresso... plus the doughnut muffin" ... Village Bakery & Café: http://bit.ly/dj8Je0
- 25 years ago Atwater Village residents petitioned to close ""smelly, dangerous" tunnels ... Now, are some re-opening? http://bit.ly/d5Pl4P
- Sat what? Deaf tourists have car towed from Hollywood to yard in Atwater Village: http://deaftimes.com/usa-l/is-anyone-listening/
- What it's like in the kitchen at Canelé, by one of the "friends" who "cook," J. Paul Higgins, on the Bon Appetit blog: http://bit.ly/9TIAqm
August 30, 2010
A NEW WEBSITE for reviewing dog-friendly establishments has only one restaurant listed for Atwater Village. Dogs are welcome at the outside tables at Hugo's Tacos, 3300 Glendale Blvd., the site says. But it's missing at least one other: The Village Bakery & Cafe, 3119 Los Feliz Blvd., where pooches are often perched next to sidewalk diners. Any place else in AV that's this canine-friendly?
August 26, 2010
- 55 Degree Wine, 3111 Glendale Blvd. - $50 gift certificate for only $20 at Restaurant.com (Valid only at wine bar and tasting cellar, not wine and beer store; minimum purchase of $100, 18% gratuity added prior to discount)
- Indochine Vien, 3110 Glendale Blvd. - $25 gift certificate for only $10 at Restaurant.com (Dine-in food only, minimum purchase of $45, 18% gratuity added prior to discount)
August 25, 2010
- Community organization booths
- Businesses open late
- DJ and live music all along Glendale Blvd.
- Ice cream social at Hugo's Tacos, 3300 Glendale Blvd.
- Handwriting analysis at Revo Cafe, 3134 Glendale Blvd.
- Dog-treat bake sale at Woof Dog Boutique, 3172 Glendale Blvd.
August 19, 2010
I wanted to give you a heads up about vandalism this morning on Garden Ave between Tyburn and Glendale.Anyone else spot the mess? Anyone leave their paint supplies out overnight?
It looks like the house on the corner of Tyburn and Garden was being repainted, and someone took a roller of paint and tagged the wall of that house, then went up the block and painted over several car windows.
Seems fairly random, but looked like they got 5 to 10 cars on the block. They only painted over the windows, so I guess they were considerate vandals?
August 7, 2010
August 2, 2010
- Atwater Grill, 3143 Glendale Blvd
- Tacos Villa Corona, 3185 Glendale Blvd
- Canele, 3219 Glendale Blvd
- Baracoa Cuban Cafe, 3175 Glendale Blvd
- Viet Noodle Bar, 3133 Glendale Blvd
- Sweets For The Soul, 3169 Glendale Blvd
- Village Bakery & Cafe, 3119 Los Feliz Blvd
- Kaldi Coffee & Tea, 3147 Glendale Blvd
- Tam O'Shanter Inn, 2980 Los Feliz Blvd
July 12, 2010
Residents from Glendale, Burbank and Atwater Village — especially local equestrians and bicyclists — have also expressed support for the proposed bridge.The bridge is planned as a future third phase of the Glendale Narrows Riverwalk along the Los Angeles River. (With any luck, it'll connect the industrial east bank with the well-tread bike path across the river.) The riverwalk's first phase breaks ground this summer, upstream from Atwater Village, just past Flower Street, behind ABC-7 and Dreamworks studios.
July 8, 2010
- Grab the kayak! EPA declares LA River "traditional navigable waters" @LATimescityDesk
- "Tam O'Shanter in Atwater Village... as ersatz as can be, a Disney version of a Scottish inn" @laweeklyfood
- On newly expanded Trader Joes in Silver Lake, Katie from Atwater Village says: "It seems huge" @TheEastsiderLA
- New studio in Atwater Village, it's called Brazilian Yoga and Pilates, 3191 Casitas Ave.
- Marijuana shop at 3153 Glendale Blvd may be violating zoning ordinances and regulations by also offering classes
July 6, 2010
- June 30 - Girl, 15, dies after weekend rave at LA Coliseum
- June 30 - LA County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky calls for moratorium on raves at LA Coliseum
- July 1 - Overload from Electric Daisy Carnival - Coliseum officials suspend raves after teen girl's death.
- July 2 - Girl's rave death raises questions whether such parties are getting too big to handle
- July 3 - Girl who died after LA rave didn't tell family she was going, spokesman says
- July 5 - Electric Daisy Carnival: drug-infested all-nighter - All law enforcement officers know that the whole idea behind raves is to take Ecstasy. Whoever approved the use of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for this event should be held civilly responsible.
- July 5 - Four girls touch the world, two in death and two in life
June 30, 2010
- July 9 - Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
- August 13 - Young Frankenstein (1974)
- September 10 - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
June 29, 2010
- Crepe'n' Around: Wednesday June 30, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- FrySmith: Saturday July 3, 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Grilled Cheese Truck, Wednesday July 14, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- Nom Nom Truck, Wednesday July 21, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- Cupcakes a GoGo: Wednesday July 28, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- LA FuXion: Wednesday August 4, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
June 23, 2010
June 21, 2010
NO FLYING CARS just yet, but Los Angeles city government is at least going futuristic with its latest citizen reporting mechanism: iPhone apps. So reports the LA Times:
"It's like having a city official in your pocket," said John Chuldenko, who recently used the app to report graffiti he spotted while strolling through his Atwater Village neighborhood. He was floored when the graffiti was gone a week later. "I've never been the type to report all these things," Chuldenko said. "But now that it's so easy, I do it all the time."In addition to council district 13 residents using the "Garcetti 311" iPhone app, citizens all over LA can report graffiti and other city government issues the old-fashioned way by calling 311.
June 16, 2010
June 12, 2010
REMINDER: The Atwater Village Centennial Street Festival, marking 100 years since a field of poppies became a genuine subdivision (named after Harriet Atwater Paramore), is Sunday, June 13, 2010, 11:00am to 4:00pm in the 3100 block of Glendale Blvd. Expect the usual: food, music, dance, arts, crafts, family fun, entertainment, all your neighbors out and about.
June 9, 2010
June 3, 2010
- Wednesday June 9, 7:00pm to 9:00pm: The Grilled Cheese Truck is parking at 55 Degree Wine, 3111 Glendale Blvd.
- Saturday June 12, 8:30pm: Famous actor Joel McHale introduces a performance of Violators Will Be Violated, Atwater Village Theatre, 3269 Casitas Ave., and hosts a party to help send the show to the New York International Fringe Festival this August.
- Sunday June 13, 11:00am to 4:00pm: Atwater Village Street Festival, celebrating neighborhood's centennial, 3100 block of Glenadale Blvd.
- Sunday June 13, 11:30am: Return of the Homemade Cookie Contest (check out 2007's winner) during the Atwater Village Street Festival, 3100 Block of Glendale Blvd. Prizes awarded at 1:30pm.
June 1, 2010
May 28, 2010
Hanks is also causing traffic this week along Los Feliz Blvd., at locations including the "Hollywood landmark" Tam O'Shanter Inn.
May 25, 2010
THE PHOTOGRAPHER writes: "Traffic on the Golden State Freeway snakes around the hills of Griffith Park (on the left). The freeway marks the border between the neighborhoods of Atwater Village and Los Feliz. Taking this at twilight, I was able to capture the traffic trails and the deep blue of the sky."
May 17, 2010
- Rainbow Place? Marshmallow Place? Cotton Road? Renaming gang-ridden Drew Street in Glassell Park
- Wordspace writing studio now open at 3191 Casitas Ave #156
- Review of Gourmet Lites cookies, available at Kaldi Coffee in Atwater Village
- Atwater Village resident raising $$$ for his sci-fi short film, "Vessel"
- 44 photos of LA River cleanup in Atwater Village
- New location of Alias Books, now open at 3163 Glendale Blvd in Atwater Village, gets itself a Twitter feed: @AliasEast
May 15, 2010
THIS WEEK Forbes published an article on America's most expensive homes, using my photo of the Spelling Mansion in Los Angeles. (With Creative Commons permission, I might add.)
The magazine was kind enough to give me credit and link to my Flickr page. So far more than 2,400 Forbes readers have clicked through to see my original photo, shot on a helicopter tour of Los Angeles. A good portion of them have also clicked through to my May 2009 post about Candy Spelling's listing of the mansion for sale.
So, welcome Forbes readers. This blog is primarily about Atwater Village, an 8,000-resident neighborhood in northeast LA. We have a Costco. And a wine bar. You might also be interested in 280 more photos from the helicopter tour. Stay a while, look around. Enjoy!
May 14, 2010
This house in the 3400 block of Lambeth Street, across from Mulholland Fountain, is just blocks from the River, and was visited this morning by LAFD, haz-mat and bomb squads responding to an explosion. (With news helicopters circling till at least 9:00am.)
KTLA reports that authorities expect to make arrests in connection with an illegal fireworks operation in the house. Let's hope this puts an end to the riverbed tests.
May 11, 2010
May 7, 2010
- Accurate Services Medical Dispensary, 3429 Glendale Blvd.
- Friendly Collective, 3405 Glendale Blvd.
- LA Collective, 3401 Glendale Bl.
- Atwater Alternative Care Collective, 3106 Glendale Blvd.
Not on the list: America's first "cannabis college," Oaksterdam University, 3153 Glendale Blvd., former home of the casket store.
May 3, 2010
"Last week I had 20 solar panels put on my roof that cover 100% of my electrical usage! DWP [Los Angeles Department of Water and Power] covered half the cost! I would love it if you could blog about it as I think there are loads of houses in this neighborhood that would be perfect for solar. You cannot even see them!
"Basically I generate enough electricity that I cover my electricity needs - so I will no longer have an electricity bill! I will only be paying for natural gas which is next to nothing. I have no batteries. The current goes into the neighborhood grid. The meter spins one direction when current flows in from the grid and the opposite direction when I am putting power back on to the grid. I only pay if I generate less than I use. My system is designed to generate 110% of my average usage based on my bills for the last two years.
"The company who did my install [Mimeos Sustainability Consultants] was great. They did all the paperwork for the rebates, handled the contractor and made the whole thing completely painless and transparent."
May 2, 2010
UPDATE 8:50pm: LAPD helicopters, cruisers, searching LA River bed. Police vehicles racing toward River along Sunnynook Drive.Second round:
UPDATE 9:10pm: Still activity around Glendale-Hyperion bridge. Police lights on Riverside Drive. Neighbors tracking events on AVNC forum: "at least 15 police vehicles and lots of suspects in handcuffs."
UPDATE 9:15pm: Lights, sirens, choppers gone. Nobody else reporting. Time to finish Sunday night TV shows. Y'all are on your own.
UPDATE 9:50pm: Great, 4 more shots and/or pops and/or explosions. Maybe guns, maybe fireworks. Does it matter? Are we really going to let them have Atwater Village?
UPDATE 10:25pm: Helicopter returns, spotlight on River.
April 30, 2010
Atwater Village: Looks pretty good. Only a few property crimes - no patterns or trends.
April 29, 2010
April 26, 2010
- Watch out, Atwater Village, bacon wrapped meatballs in a blueberry chipotle sauce
- "We are provide you with professional massage"
- PDF map of Atwater Village shows where City of LA has been testing 150-watt equivalent LED streetlights since Nov 09
- Third time this week with the screeching fireworks over LA River! April 22 at 5:50am, April 23 at 11:30pm, April 24 at 10:30pm
- Chicken on the loose in Atwater Village! A photo essay
- Lisa at new Glendale Thai Massage, 3206 Glendale Blvd, gets "strictly legit" review on this slightly NSFW site
April 23, 2010
April 22, 2010
JUST A WEEK after dozens of officers took over Sunnynook Drive, yesterday a reader caught a more limited LAPD action just around the corner on Glenfeliz Blvd., sending along photos and this eyewitness account:
"Newbie, around 3:35pm today [April 21] I drove by this arrest and car search going on on the corner of Glenfeliz and Ingledale Terrace. The guy was cuffed sitting on the side of the road with tattoos on his neck and looked Hispanic with a thin mustache. Not sure what he did but for the cops to search his car they must have had probable cause. Thought you might like to know... At least the cops are doing something!"See something our Atwater Village neighbors should know? Send it to the Newbie, email@example.com.
April 21, 2010
- During recent review of "Hot Prowl" burglaries in the areas of Los Feliz, Franklin Hills, Silverlake and East Hollywood, it was determined that burglary suspects entered several homes during early hours of the morning (2:00am to 3:30am). The burglars entered while home owners were at home sleeping. Victims were awaken by noises in their homes and actually confronted suspects as they fled from their residents. The method used to enter the homes were open garages, open windows and open sliding doors. We strongly recommend that you check your windows and doors prior to going to sleep.
- The bicycle thefts are still occurring. Suspects are removing bikes from open garages and cutting chained locks. Please keep them in locked homes and garages.
April 19, 2010
The Thai Massage place located at 3206 Glendale Blvd. has put up a sign that says Glendale Thai Massage. I'm really disappointed with the name chosen for this establishment. Although it is on Glendale Blvd., I find that the name of the place will confuse people who are not from Atwater Village, implying that they are in the city of Glendale. Atwater Village is actually part of Los Angeles, with its own rich history and thriving community.
On local TV news, I've heard reporters often call Atwater Village "Glendale." Not that I have anything against Glendale, but we have a really good chance at making Atwater a very special place in Los Angeles. A small town neighborhood in the big city of Los Angeles.
I feel a better name for the business might be Atwater Village Thai Massage. I know that the business owner has every right to call it whatever he/she wants, but if the name is bothersome to you, the way it is to me, why not mention it to them in a nice way. Maybe it will do some good.
April 16, 2010
April 15, 2010
WHAT LOOKED a raid that started with plain-clothes officers subduing at least 2 suspects turned into a complete takeover of Sunnynook Drive in central Atwater Village today by dozens of Los Angeles Police Department officers. It happened suddenly, this afternoon just before 6:00pm, involving undercover vehicles, LAPD cruisers and helicopter support.
And guess what house was at the center of the action? Yup, the so-called Sunnynook Meth House, the same one police raided back in summer 2007.
Your humble Newbie was there, unintentionally, literally caught in the middle, driving up Sunnynook when one undercover officer brandished his weapon and told me not to move, lest my vehicle get in the way of an arrest in progress. (More of my photos here.)
Could this finally mean the end of the Sunnynook Meth House menace?
UPDATE: Other eyewitnesses counted 13 LAPD units and, 3 hours later, saw a half dozen more arrests elsewhere in the neighborhood.
April 14, 2010
IN REACTION to my post about Los Feliz Car Wash and its policy of demanding $8.99 minimums on credit-card transactions, here's a gentle bit of criticism on the AVNC Forum:
"Newbie conveniently didn't mention several other businesses in Atwater that have minimums for credit card charges. Whether or not their practices are legal, I won't mention them here by name because I like them and, from reading the posts on these forums, so does everybody else."Yes, many businesses in Atwater Village and Southern California, especially non-chain, mom-and-pop shops, post credit-card minimums. And yes, I've mentioned others, like El Buen Gusto on Glendale Blvd. and Marlene's Beachcomber in Santa Monica, for enforcing them. Baracoa Cuban Cafe does it, and I love me some Baracoa. I bet the majority of retailers in Atwater Village, outside mega-chains like Best Buy and Starbucks, do it.
But no, credit-card minimums are not illegal. They send no one to jail. They simply violate merchant agreements with credit card issuers, like the agreement with Visa:
(In 10 states, California included, a credit-card surcharge or card checkout fee is flat-out against the law, and should be reported. Los Feliz Car Wash at one time charged a $1 checkout fee. Word is Kailyn Nail Spa still does.)"Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card."
It's our choice to patronize businesses that violate agreements and laws. If our desire for cheap tacos outweighs our need for consumer protection, then go for it. If we don't mind not knowing how much stuff we'll have to buy ($5? $10? $8.99?) before our credit cards become valid forms of payment, then keep supporting these bad business habits.
On February 18, 2008, Dr. Thuc Bach treated [girlfriend Adelita] Telles at the Huntington Memorial Hospital for a six-inch, superficial, "bleeding" cut that was "very clean" and "very precise" and that was probably delivered in a "straight slashing action." ...
Telles said that she did not want to talk to the police about her injury and that she afraid of the person [appellant Vigil] who hurt her because he was an Avenues Gang member. Telles was with appellant who accused her of dating and having sex with someone from the Frog Town gang in Atwater Village.Vigil's appeal was filed in Court of Appeals of California, Second District.
April 13, 2010
Last month the Violet Willow boutique left its space at 3127 Glendale Blvd., and the space was subsequently offered at $1,450, about $2.07 per square foot, per month.
Now, California Casket Company has wheeled its coffins a block away, from 3153 Glendale Blvd. to 3229 Glendale Blvd., to avoid an alleged rent hike to $4,500 a month.
Are retail landlords seeing signs of recovery that lead them to believe richer tenants are just around the corner? They may be right: Alias Books is a big get. But they may not: The old Violet Willow space has been discounted, and is now listed for $50 less per month.
April 12, 2010
- Green BMW Possible in #2 Lane 10:32 PM
- Reporting Party Called to Advise His Vehicle Was Blocking Lanes and to Ascertain If Assistance Was En Route 10:51 PM
- Party Was Holding for Spanish Translator; Sound Like Vehicle May Have Been Hit, Line Went Dead 10:53 PM
- Vehicle Has now Been Hit 10:54 PM
- Message Delivered LA Fire Department 10:54 PM
- CHP Unit on Scene 11:00 PM
- Possible Fatality 11:02 PM
- All Lanes Closed for now 11:03 PM
- CHP Unit on Scene 11:04 PM
- CHP Unit on Scene 11:22 PM
- CHP Unit on Scene 11:23 PM
- Glendale On Ramp Will Be Closed for Unknown Duration 11:26 PM
- Sigalert for All Lanes with Traffic Only Getting Thru in #1 Lane for Unknown Duration 11:26 PM
- #1, 2 Lanes Open 12:21 AM
April 9, 2010
UPDATE: Sweets for the Soul follows up: "We got those fabulous chairs and tables from Pot-ted, right here in our neighborhood on Los Feliz Boulevard."
April 7, 2010
April 6, 2010
- Vesuvio, LA's first and only Italian food truck, serving grandma's Southern Italian recipes like $3 arancini stuffed with smoked mozzarella and $7 sandwiches
- Two Rounds, the acclaimed Italian play brought to the US by Atwater Playhouse, tickets $15
- Trilussa Wine, importer from Northern California, with tastes of their Italian wines
April 4, 2010
April 2, 2010
THEY OFFER a $5.99 express service as Los Feliz Car Wash, 3013 Los Feliz Blvd. Exterior only, no vacuum, no dash, but they hand wash and dry. Seems like a deal. But this Atwater Village establishment insists on cash.
"Is the credit card machine down?" I ask yesterday. No, I'm told, Los Feliz Car Wash enforces a minimum charge of $8.99 for credit-card transactions. I tell the cashier his demand violates credit card merchant policies and would be reported. Then I relented, offered cash. (Hindsight? Should go elsewhere. But my car's in the queue.)
Car Wash Guy takes my $10 bill, gives me change, but then suffers an abrupt about face. He tells me Los Feliz Car Wash would not be honoring my transaction, even with cash. And recognizing the physical manifestations of a man becoming unhinged, I start shooting video. Mostly as protection and eyewitness, though I see how someone might be antagonized by the business end of a cell-phone lens.
Car Wash Guy: I just don't want your business, that's all.
Me: How come?
CWG: It's a free world and it's a free business.
Me: You don't want my business because of the credit card policy?
CWG: No sir, I just don't want your business. It's because I don't like your attitude.
Me: You don't like my attitude, you said?
CWG: Yes sir. I'm an entrepreneur. I've got that right.Indeed he does have a right to refuse service. But it gets more personal. About me. And about my camera phone:
CWG: Get that thing off my head before I knock it off.
Me: Did you just threaten to damage some property of mine?
CWG: All right, so let me get your money back, sir. Go check your head.
Me: What do you mean, like with a psychiatrist or something?
CWG: I don't know, I'm not in psychiatry business. I'm in car wash business.Debatable. He refunds me $6 on the $5.99 car wash. Then, personal gets weird:
Me: Thanks for the extra penny.
CWG: I know you need it. I can tell.
Me: You can tell?
CWG: Yes sir. Have your car out of here or I'll have it towed.
Me: Are you the owner?
CWG: No. I'm an illegal alien.
Me: Oh, you are?
CWG: Yes. Go report that to immigration.On it goes, 3 or 4 minutes. CWG calls me a "f***ing son of a bitch." Without seeming to enter a phone number, he reports to his cell that there's a "disturbance" by someone with a "junky" car.
Then some beefy security guy shows up wearing a badge that looks like a toy. He's not employed by Los Feliz Car Wash, just wants to call me a "f***ing idiot." (And let me know my camera doesn't intimidate him; he's been on TMZ!)
Alas, I take my "junky" car a few blocks up to California Car Wash, 3940 San Fernando Road. Express service: $6.99. Credit card: accepted. No questions asked. No obscenities hurled.
ARCHIVE: Back in September 2008, Los Feliz Car Wash charged $1 to run credit-card transactions of $8.99 or less. A practice like that seems to violate merchant policies and possibly California law.
April 1, 2010
THIS INTREPID videographer captures a police chase in Atwater Village, as it passes the post office at Glendale Blvd. and La Clede Ave. on March 30. Not sure whom they're chasing, other than someone who saw fit to jump off a motorcycle and try to escape on foot.