- Will has some freaky fiction about a time in 1769, on the east bank of the river near what would become Atwater Village, when travelers were told to avoid those spooky Griffith Park hills.
- LAist decries the effigy hanging above a house in Atwater Village.
- The LA Times gives the finger (albiet a tasty one) to our new Village Bakey Cafe...
- And new neighbors want to know how many trick-or-treaters to expect tonight. Answer: lots.
October 31, 2009
October 29, 2009
October 28, 2009
October 26, 2009
October 22, 2009
October 21, 2009
View Perlita Avenue Fire in a larger map
THE HOUSE FIRE was labeled "stubborn" and "heavy" at first, but 50 firefighters took just 24 minutes this afternoon to extinguish it at 3507 W. Perlita Avenue in Atwater Village. From LAFD's Twitter feed:
- Update #1: Structure fire through roof of 2-story home
- Update #2: 50 Firefighters battling stubborn fire with heavy attic involvement
- Update #3: Knockdown; 50 firefighters took just 24 minutes; No injury; Confined to 2nd floor and attic
October 18, 2009
October 17, 2009
Neighbors, you are on alert. Check windows and doors. Watch for interlopers. Report emergencies to 911, other police matters to 1-877-ASK-LAPD."The house across the street from us on Valleybrink Road was burglarized last week! It was a weekday; not sure which one. During the day while the husband and wife were at work. The burglar(s) broke in thru a side window. They stole a huge flat screen TV, the wife’s jewelry, etc. The couple have a lab dog that stays in the backyard. Please alert your neighbors!"
October 15, 2009
THIS PHOTO by Dan Gabai was taken more than a year ago, Sept. 13, 2008, back when street lamps on the Glendale-Hyperion bridge viaduct system came on at night. These days, the lamps stay dark. The corners and shadows along and beneath the bridge and its staircases and sidewalks are even darker. What gives? Can't be all about money savings for the city, especially on a bridge where City Council spent $2,000 to install American flags. (Which, by the way, some might say, ought not be waving in the dark.)
UPDATE: Week later. Lights on.
October 13, 2009
- 6:13pm from AtwaterVillage: "Something afoot (and in air) on Revere Ave south of Los Feliz Blvd [Google Maps] ... cops blocking street & circling above"
- 6:31pm from Fixer: "I live on Revere south of Los Feliz Blvd, I hope my dog doesn't eat anyone while I am not there."
- 6:33pm from DougMcInnes: "Policed cordoned off a block of Brunswick, we talked to an officer and apparently there's a suspect running around possibly with a gun."
- 6:50pm from Wambat: "My wife went out to the store and the cops cordoned off Los Feliz and Brunswick. She can't get back home."
- 7:03pm from AtwaterVillage: "Cop copters still circling"
- 7:16pm from Fixer: "LAPD NE has confirmed, the perimeter is set up and they are searching for 2 armed and dangerous suspects"
October 12, 2009
View Green Hornet Filming Locations in a larger map
FILMING CONTINUES Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights this week for Michel Gondry's Green Hornet feature film, starring Seth Rogen.
Friends of Atwater Village posts the specific locations -- here's a map -- mostly along Riverside Drive but also on Fletcher Drive (basically where Pulp Fiction was shot in Atwater Village) Oct. 12-14, 6:00pm to 6:00am.
The kids at the Riverglen Apartments should get great views of the action, though possibly little sleep, the next few nights. Expect, for example, "automatic gunfire, explosions ... and use of ramps to simulate rollover."
October 11, 2009
- "Noticed it in the shower. Any idea why? Smells like the YMCA."
- "I think the LA tap water has a weird taste and odor, chlorine?"
- "Not sure what that smell is. My Atwater Village tapwater has a bouquet I don't recognize."
YOU NOTICE IT when you're driving south along Glendale Blvd., just before crossing under the Hyperion Bridge toward Silver Lake. It's a homely little camp, blankets, shopping cart, all the amenities of street life spread out at the base of the pedestrian staircase. At least one or 2 homeless men have occupied this shady slice of Atwater Village, adjacent to a north I-5 on-ramp, for the last couple of weeks.
Two years ago this spot had become a trash heap. The city eventually came along and bagged it. Back then, no one lived there. So now, what will the city do? And how long will they wait to do it?
October 9, 2009
October 8, 2009
AN EAGLE-EYED reader questions changes at the petrol station formerly known as Gabriel's Gas Mart, 3047 Glendale Blvd. "Hey would you happen to know what is happening at the Gas Mart gas station on Glendale Blvd.? It's near the Crispy Crust and Starbucks." On Tuesday the reader saw the new Valero signs go up. "Was it sold or something?" he asks. "It's a shame to lose a family-ran gas station."
October 6, 2009
- Braised artichoke on a fat toast with shaved pecorino
- Seared halibut with cherry tomatoes, cracked olives, capers and basil
- Apple and raisin crostata with ice cream
October 2, 2009
October 1, 2009
Real Estalker's POV aside, the Fish house adds another note (with Beastie Boys, Eels, Black Eyed Peas) to the musical history of Atwater Village."The 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom house is located in a modest section of Los Angeles called Atwater Village, a neighborhood with a Silver Lake zip code that borders Glendale, Elysian Valley, Glassell Park, Los Feliz, and the sprawling Griffith Park. Being the hub in a geographic wheel certainly makes Atwater Village accessible to and from many parts of the Tinseltown but, as far as Your Mama and the Dr. Cooter are concerned, it's far to [sic] hot and smoggy for our delicate constitutions..."