May 2, 2007

Meanwhile, Kaldi Coffee, the Block is Yours

OUR GREAT STARBUCKS MYSTERY popped up today on Curbed LA:
"What's up w/ that Starbucks in Atwater Village? It's had a 'Coming Soon' sign on it for 5 months."
More like nine months, but who's counting? Certainly not neighborhood fave Kaldi Coffee, a few storefronts up, cashing in (literally; no credit cards taken) on its latte domination of central AV.

The phone number listed for the Glendale & Glenfeliz SBUX just rings. And rings. And rings. Yet the store is still coming "soon," insist the banner and web site.

"You keep using that word," goes the famous quote. "I do not think it means what you think it means."

4 comments:

Miles said...

The delay makes me sick, actually.

I think i'll cross-post my comment from Curbed about it...

The starbucks has been delayed by permit issues, plus they were also forced to build a wall behind the parking lot and several unfriendly Glendale Blvd. forces who are well known for their many methods of impeding rational development on the boulevard. You folks in Atwater know who I am referring to...

It's the same fella and comrades who have been delaying the wine shop and everything else worthwhile to the community.

I'm just sayin...

Amy said...

Eagle Rock so has you beat. There has been a Michelangelo's coming soon sign on Colorado for what seems like years. I think NELA has some particularly anal inpectors or it's just a government conspiracy to keep everything in West LA.

Actually, Miles we have this group of crazy irrational old people who keep everything out of Eagle Rock. Oh, but we have a Starbucks--they don't have the power to keep out the crappy big business stuff like Walgreens so they attack small businesses here. It's so weird.

Miles said...

For a long time, Amie was going to be the next Silver Lake. Then it was Echo Park. Then Eagle Rock. I wouldn't mind being the next Eagle Rock, actually.

Actually, I like it fine here. All the nimbyism is par for the course. Progress moves glacially, but it does move.

Miles said...

Whoops, where I said "amie was going to be the next silverlake", I, of course, meant Atwater. And so it goes.