January 8, 2009

Earthquake? Rattling in Atwater Village, Sherman Oaks

THE SOFA SHOOK and the bookshelf rattled for 2 to 3 seconds here at home in Atwater Village, about 7:50 p.m.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the phone, Mrs. Newbie felt some shaking in her car. She was at a stoplight in Sherman Oaks.

Quick, gentle, couldn't have been more than a 2 or 3. Anyone else feel it?
UPDATE #1: Well. It was a 5.0 near San Bernardino, about 50 miles east of Atwater Village and the Los Angeles city limits, at 7:49:46 PM. The USGS gives my shake report an estimated intensity of II.

UPDATE #2: Revised to 4.5. Not the Big One, but certainly more than the 2 or 3 I thought it was. Shows you what I know, this being only my second quake.

3 comments:

Benjamin Gold said...

you beat me to the comment... we felt it over here on Glenhurst Ave. Very wavy and for some reason more unsettling than others I've felt lately.

frogtownie said...

over here just south of fletcher, my napkin holder shook on the kitchen table, but i thought it was my cat. then i noticed my cat looking at me like, "uh, nope, i thought it was you." oh, and my christmas tree (taking it down on saturday, i swear) shook a little.

elly higginbottom said...

thank you! i was sitting outside kaldi texting a friend when suddenly it felt like i was sitting on a boat. but, not exactly like on a boat, as i agree with benjamin - there's something unsettling about that type of earthquake. concrete, or any type of ground, just shouldn't be able to make waves like that. yet, no one else around me seemed to notice at all, so i looked at the time, and it was 7:50 p.m.