- Former home of This or Die Boutique, 3205 Glendale Blvd,
looks like it's becomingis already re-opened as a salon (and is keeping the This or Die moniker, according to a commenter)
- Former home of Yoga Lab, black and white building at 3362 Glendale Blvd, may have new tenant; U-Haul spotted this weekend
- New signage at old Silver Lake Video location, 3206 Glendale Blvd., looks like a place to get an hour's worth of massage for $45
March 30, 2010
March 28, 2010
Subha Ravindhran: "I don't think that restaurant would do so well in Los Angeles."
John Gregory: "Not on the west side, anyway."
March 26, 2010
ABOVE: The neon sign for Atwater Village's Club Tee Gee, 3210 Glendale Blvd.
BELOW: Club Tee Gee's facade with a new name, Latham's, for its appearance as a location on this week's episode of ABC TV's FlashForward. See it at the 2:20 mark on the "Blowback" episode.
(Pretty sure the interior is a different bar, though.)
AS PART OF its Friends Cook series, Canele Bistro, 3219 Glendale Blvd., turns the menu over to 2 young friends. A 6-year-old and an 8-year-old developed special dishes, drinks and menus, and will be on hand to meet, greet, serve, bus and cook for the one-time brunch, Saturday, Marcy 27, 10:00am to 3:00pm.
Sweets: $7.50Saturday's brunch profits will be donated to the American Red Cross, as the 2 young chefs specified, to benefit relief efforts in Haiti. No reservations. First come, first served.
- Owen's berry bread pudding
- Housemade granola (add chocolate and bananas $2.50)
- Bowl of berries and banana
- Violet's cheesy baked shells
- Eggs in a hole
- Soft scrambled eggs with herbed cream cheese
- Fried egg sandwich with braised leeks, bacon and romesco market soup
- House cured or apple smoked bacon
- Pan roasted potatoes
- Market lettuces with crème frâiche
- Just eggs (soft scrambled, omelet, fried)
- Ginger scone
- Toast and homemade jam (baguette, buckwheat or seeded pullman)
- Owen's hot chocolate with whipped cream
- Violet's pink rhubarb lemonade
- Chado teas, LAMILL coffee, espresso, cappuccino, latte
- Wine by the glass and bottle
- Tomato juice, orange juice
- San Pellegrino mineral water, limonata, aranciata
March 25, 2010
The Westside's Alias Books on Sawtelle Boulevard is expanding, opening a second location in Atwater Village, the store announced today. Expected to be open by May 1st, the store will emphasize its collection on film, literature and the arts. "Even in the age of the Kindle there's no substitute for holding a book in your hand and flipping through the pages," said Co-owner Patrick Paeper. Alias Books East will be open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.The address seems one door off, doesn't it? The neighboring property, 3161 Glendale Blvd., has been undergoing construction lately. Perhaps it's adjoining space and the bookstore will use 3163 as its street number. Stay tuned.
Northeast LA Dives posted a review on Facebook.
March 22, 2010
The Casitas tower location is adjacent to a pair of cell-phone dead zones in central Atwater Village. CNET says AT&T customers have "no bars" there. As in, they suffer from "failure to establish a data connection" and live in "areas likely to have hand off errors between phones and cell towers."
See, it's not just in your imagination. But if waiting for AT&T to improve things won't cut it, the CNET data shows Sprint leads the way in average signal strength in Atwater Village:
- Sprint: 85% average signal strength
- T Mobile: 75%
- AT&T: 65%
- Verizon 61%
- Saturday, March 27, brunchtime: "Kids in the Kitchen" brunch fundraiser for Haiti relief, Canele bistro, 3219 Glendale Blvd.
- Sunday, March 28, 11:00am to 2:00pm: Champagne brunch, with bagels and bacon, among other goodies, 55 Degree Wine, 3111 Glendale Blvd.
- Sunday, March 28, 11:00am to 3:00pm: Best Friends Pet Adoption, Revo Cafe, 3134 Glendale Blvd.
- Sunday, March 28, dinnertime: Friends Cook series with LA City Council President Eric Garcetti and family, Canele bistro, 3219 Glendale Blvd.
March 20, 2010
Eligible to vote: Residents, merchants, students and anyone else age 16 and up with a stake in the neighborhood of Atwater Village. No advance registration required; just show a drivers license or other ID.
See the list of AVNC candidates and read their statements (PDF file).
March 19, 2010
$1450 / 700ft² - Atwater Village Storefront
"Very seldom does an oppurtunity for a prime Atwater storefront come by. Property is located on busy Glendale Blvvd. With plenty of visibility by foot traffic, and passing cars, this storefront is perfect for a shop/office. Property is located at 3127 Glendale Blvd. In the heart of Atwater Village. Parking is included. Available March 20th . For more information, or to schedule a viewing, please contact John at 213-200-7234."
March 18, 2010
IN STUDIES conducted last September, LA Bike Count tracked bicyclists at 50 intersections around Los Angeles, including the Alex Baum Bicycle Bridge over Los Feliz Blvd., here in Atwater Village. The study lists Baum Bridge as the sixth busiest location in the study, just behind Sunset and Hyperion. (Complete PDF here.) Volunteers noted 369 cyclists over the course of 13 hours on Sept. 22, 23 and 26, 2009. The breakdown:
- Weekday AM: 110 cyclists (12 female, 98 male; 79% helmet use)
- Weekday PM: 164 cyclists (17 female, 147 male; 65% helmet use)
- Midday Weekend: 95 cyclists (15 female, 80 male; 64% helmet use)
View Hollydale Sewer Project in a larger map
A READER POINTS to an "odor control" project by the City of LA's Bureau of Engineering (PDF here) designed to quell the smell in South Atwater Village. "This part of Atwater has been smelly," she writes, "kicks up when it's hot. We actually call this place Ass Water Village. It's baaaad. Got a word from our landlord after he bugged the city."
The Hollydale Drive Local Sewer Addition project started in August 2008 and is scheduled to be complete in June 2010. Construction cost: $1,071,180. More from the City:
This project will build approximately 3,100 feet of 8-inch diameter sewer in Hollydale Drive between Glendale Blvd and Silverlake Blvd, parallel to the existing 42-inch diameter North Outfall Sewer (NOS). Approximately 80 house connections along this alignment will be re-connected to the new 8-inch line. Existing 8” sewers adjacent to the new sewer will be retrofitted with trap maintenance holes or will be reconnected to the new sewer.
ON LAST NIGHT's evening news, Los Angeles TV station ABC7 broadcast live from the Tam O'Shanter Inn, 2980 Los Feliz Blvd. While it's easy to forgive hosting one of the city's biggest Irish parties at a Scottish restaurant, it's harder to overlook ABC7's geographical misplacement. The Tam is not in the neighborhood of Los Feliz, as indicated. It's in Atwater Village. Otherwise, revelers, party on!
March 17, 2010
March 16, 2010
chapter 2: Quotidian lifeThe gallery, in case, like me, you'd never heard of it, is curated by photographer Greg Cohen to show "emerging local artists working in a variety of mediums" and "raise awareness and funds to benefit the many charities our artists support."
by Michele Mikesell
Saturday, March 20, 7:00pm
Smooth n Purdy Gallery
3015 Glendale Blvd. (The Complex)
- atwatervillage: USGS has a 4.4 at 4:04am near Pico Rivera: http://bit.ly/bcqtm0
- SquashBlossom: Woke me up in NoHo but seemed quick & rattly.
- seanbonner: On the 3rd floor, didn't feel anything but heard the glass of the shower door rattling!
- lesleyLA: Earthquake. Decent shaker. Thanks insomnia
- SquashBlossom: Looking forward to day full of news reports showing loops of footage of shampoo bottles on floor of drugstore in Whittier.
- danceralamode: I'm telling you all this DST business upsets mother earth. She just didn't want to wake up an hour early to bring up the sun.
- leeleepitts: Well, that was scary. Gave me a contraction!
- HLP90042: Quake was on the Puente Hills Fault. Same one as Whittier Narrows in 1987. (that one knocked down 1/2 the chimneys in 90042.)
- wildbell: A tsunami alert has been issued for portions of Silver Lake reservoir
March 15, 2010
March 12, 2010
GOOD NEWS for folks shopping and dining along Glendale Blvd. in central Atwater Village. You know how sometimes half the boulevard's parking meters are out of order? (The ones that actually display "Fail," not just handwritten "out of order" notes.) You don't have to put money in them. Really. No kidding. Even though last year the City of Los Angeles issued 550,000 tickets for expired meters, City Councilman Tom Labonge assures you:
"If someone says 'I got a ticket,' henceforth, 'from a failed meter,' we want to know about that, because we don't do that."Well, they do do that, but it turns out you don't have to pay for the ticket. The LA Times clarifies in a quote from Amir Sedadi, assistant general manager of the Transportation Department, that "the policy of the Department of Transportation is not to issue any citations to broken meters."
Of course, your meter may suddenly click to life while you're away. Sedadi said: "Somehow due to vibration, coins being stuck, somebody putting a paper clip [in] it may come out of that state and be acting normal." In that case, pay up.
March 10, 2010
"I am very sad to tell you that Violet Willow will be closing in Atwater Village. It has been a great 2 years and I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to know all of you. I feel that you are not only our customers but also our friends.
"We tried to negotiate new lease terms, but unfortunately we could not. We fought a good fight until the end but all negotiations fell through and we had to close our doors suddenly. We are on the search for a great new location and plan to open hopefully in the near future.
"The internet site will be available and I will be doing the Glendale and Pasadena flea markets. You can also give me a shout out on my blog."
"Last Friday I sent out a newsletter that described a very serious burglary problem we were experiencing in Eagle Rock and Highland Park. We have been working this problem very hard and on Friday night we arrested one suspect. On Saturday we arrested the second suspect and recovered property taken from some of the burglaries. We are also working the fence that was responsible for selling the stolen property.Any chance this crime-fighting wave will trickle across the freeway into Atwater Village? We've endured some 30 burglaries, robberies and thefts in this neighborhood since the beginning of 2010.
"So far we have tied 20 plus crimes to them (burglaries, robberies, and thefts). Should clear up crime in this area."
- AVNC Candidates Forum
- Thursday, March 11, 8:00pm
- Christ's Church Griffith Park
- 3852 Edenhurst Ave
March 9, 2010
March 5, 2010
Atwater Avenue Elementary School Field Trip FundraiserSilent auction items include: Dodgers tickets, dance classes at Heartbeat House, El Capitan movie passes, gift certificates for Fabiolus Cafe, Tiki Ti and Revo Cafe, and Dtox Day Spa certificates and more.
- Saturday, March 6
- 6:00pm to 10:00pm
- 55 Degree Wine
- 3111 Glendale Blvd.
- $30 per person