- 14 pictures from last week's Atwater Village Summer Nights street festival ... dancers, babies, balloon hats
- Bottega Louie today; could go every week! Working through Jonathan Gold's 99 essential LA restaurants & here's the map
- Philip Lumbang “Hug Life” Warehouse Pop-Up Show, September 12, 8:00pm ... 3333 N. San Fernando Rd.
August 31, 2009
View Street Closures for Michael Jackson Burial Service in a larger map
THIS THURSDAY watch for swarms of media vehicles around Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, just across the tracks from Atwater Village. The private burial service for Michael Jackson is September 3, 2009, 7:00pm.
- Media parking: 1600 and 1700 block of S. Glendale Avenue
- Crew parking: 1400 to 1600 blocks of S. Glendale Avenue
- Media camp: Cerritos Park (restrooms, tables, rest area)
- Streets closed: Laurel, Eulalia and Cerritos (except for school dropoff) between Brand and Glendale
August 30, 2009
THE WINDS YESTERDAY, when this gas station photo was shot, seemed to carry smoke from the mountainous Station Fire safely up and away from Atwater Village and northeast LA neighborhoods.
But Sunday morning, no such luck. LA Times confirms winds shifted down-canyon overnight, pushing the 35,000-acre, 4-day-old blaze toward residential areas. And just after sunrise in Atwater Village, about 10 miles southwest of the fire (Google map), the sky turned dull orange and smoky smells began to pour through open windows.
South Coast Air Quality Management District has sage advice (stay inside, close windows, recirculate cleaner indoor air) for anyone in "areas where residents can see or smell smoke." That's us, Villagers.
August 28, 2009
August 27, 2009
IT'S BACK: For the second time this summer, Atwater Village shops and restaurants are spilling out onto the sidewalks of Glendale Blvd. for another Summer Nights event. Expect sidewalk sales, live music, art and fashion in this LA version of a retail block party. It starts tonight, Aug. 27, 6:00pm, up and down both sides of Glendale Blvd., north from Glenfeliz Blvd.
August 25, 2009
- Weiser Farms melon salad
- choice of Sonoma grass-fed beef cheeseburger or Sonoma grass-fed beef burger topped with fried egg and frisee
- fig-milk-chocolate-bourbon ice cream dessert
August 21, 2009
THE NEXT Atwater Village neighborhood cleanup project is at Red Car River Park (Ferncroft Rd. and Glendale Blvd.) on Saturday Aug. 22, 9:30am to noon. Friends of Atwater Village and USC Student Volunteers are pitching in and seeking volunteers to spruce up this access point to the Los Angeles River.
August 20, 2009
FROM A 10-question marketing survey by The Americana at Brand in Glendale, question number 5 asks what radio stations I listen to. I think by KCRW 83.9FM they really meant KPCC 89.3FM. I picked "other" and put in the correct ID for the public radio station in Pasadena. I hope the Glendale mall ends up sponsoring the right station.
August 19, 2009
TECHNICALLY THEY'LL be working in the neighboring neighborhood of Glassell Park, but chances are cast and crew of All My Children could find themselves enjoying the nearby amenities of Atwater Village, conveniently located on the way to work from whatever westside and/or Los Feliz housing accommodations they may have.
The soap opera moves production out of New York City and into northeast Los Angeles at Andrita Studios, 3030 Andrita St., starting January 2010. Here are a few tips to help Susan Lucci and friends adjust to the NELA lifestyle:
- Early-morning carb load? Potato breakfast burritos at Tacos Villa Corona, 1.4 miles from the studio.
- Your go-to lunch dish: arroz con pollo at Baracoa Cuban Cafe, just 1.5 miles away.
- Sweat it off a block up at Bikram Yoga Silver Lake.
- Car need work? Have your PA drop it with Luis Lopez Automotive, just half a mile down Fletcher Drive.
- Dinner? Canele. Duh. 1.3 miles. Take the community table up front and wait for TMZ.
- After-work "script meetings," basement at 55 Degree Wine, 1.8 miles, free parking.
- After-work unwinding, dive-bar style, Club Tee Gee.
- After-work unwinding, vampire style, The Griffin.
- Late-night munchies, tacos at Fletcher and Larga.
More about AMC's move from Franklin Avenue.
August 16, 2009
August 14, 2009
August 12, 2009
UPDATE: The LA Times blogs seem to be coming and going. After I wrote this, they were back up. Today, they're back down.
August 11, 2009
August 10, 2009
Not exactly. The Yoga Lab, 3362 Glendale Blvd., is a yoga studio, health shop and juice bar rolled into one black-and-white brick box. Blog reader and band member of Silver Phial reports: "I stopped in to the Yoga Lab last week and really enjoyed their selection of drinks and their extensive knowledge of nutrition. Really friendly folks and they have a beautiful sit-down counter."
As for that iced hempaccino? It's purified water, organic coffee infused with herbal extracts, vanilla hemp milk and agave. No prescription required.
August 6, 2009
August 4, 2009
August 3, 2009
WHILE WE SADLY bid adieu to a fave gift shop in the neighborhood, we can still treat our pains at another local hot spot. Dtox Day Spa, 3206 Los Feliz Blvd., is celebrating its third anniversary. Save a receipt from a treatment in August, get $20 coupon for September. And the spa's Happy Hour Friday is Aug. 21, this time a detox/retox partnership with Bigfoot Lodge across the street. Soak it in, just like Lorelai Gilmore!